How times have changed. Many years ago, family time would involve playing board games in the living room or spending time outside. Lately, family night generally has to do with watching movies or series or playing digital games. The difference? The internet and all it has given us access to. Advancements in internet technology have lead to most of our lives being centered around our digital devices; from our laptops to televisions, gaming consoles and even e-readers. Our lives have been digitized through and through. In order for us to avoid frustration in our everyday digital lives, a steady, reliable internet solution and connection is important, and a home Fibre connection is an answer.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of internet service provider companies around today, and all of them offer a variety of internet connectivity solutions, including home Fibre. So how do you know which one to choose? And more importantly, how do you know which home Fibre package to choose? Here are a few things to consider before choosing an internet service provider:
- Check out their customer reviews. The easiest way to see if an internet service provider offers great service is to look at their Google reviews, their client testimonials or the reviews on their website and social media pages. Customer reviews are the best way to determine the kind of customer service they offer because the feedback is unbiased and honest.
- What Fibre packages do they offer? It is important to understand what kind of home Fibre package you need before looking at an internet service provider’s various options. This will help you choose not only the right package but it will narrow down the options of internet service providers.
- Will they be able to assist you? It is important that you are able to reach your internet service provider when you are experiencing issues with your connection. An internet service provider will list their working hours on their website. Some ISPs will only be available during business hours, while others (like BitCo) go the extra mile and make themselves available 24/7.
- What are the costs involved? Not only do you need to look at the costs of the packages that are on offer, but you also need to be aware of any additional costs that could be incurred, like installation and router costs.
Narrowing down your internet service provider’s possibilities will also help you narrow down the kind of home Fibre packages that are suited to your needs. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a home Fibre package:
- What are your basic requirements? Knowing what you need in a home Fibre connection is the most important aspect of choosing the right package. Make a list of features in order of priority. Also, think about what you will need the internet connection for. Is it for basic internet connection in your home, or will you be using it for streaming, downloading and uploading data-heavy files, as well as gaming? This will determine the speed of your line.
- Line speed. All Fibre packages come with an upload and download speed. The higher the speed, the more expensive the line will be, generally. But that also means that your connection is faster.
- How many devices will be connected at once? This is important, because the more devices that will be connected in the household, the high-quality the line and speed has to be in order to be able to handle the bandwidth with ease.
- How much data are you going to need on a monthly basis? Understanding what you will be using the home Fibre connection for is also a determining factor when it comes to choosing how much data you will get. Generally, an uncapped line is the best – this means that you will never run out of data.
- Unshaped and unthrottled lines. Many internet service providers throttle or shape their connections, meaning that they will slow down your connection at certain times or when you use it for certain things like downloading or streaming. (FYI – BitCo does not throttle or shape any of our lines, and we only offer uncapped Fibre packages)
- What are the agreement terms? Many internet service providers ask that you sign a 12, 24 or even 36-month contract with them. This locks you into an agreement that is generally hard to get out of, even when you are not happy with the ISPs service. BitCo only offers month-to-month agreements, meaning that if you are unhappy with our service, you can cancel at any time.
If you really want to make family time fun again, get a home Fibre connection.
Check your home coverage here and let us help you guide you into which Home Fibre line you should be using!